This hummus has a lovely distinct flavor. The mix of the olives and mushrooms together give it a distinctly salty taste.
You can serve this hummus with vegetables, chips, or eat it plain like I do!
Follow the steps below for a delicious hummus recipe!
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, soaked, boiled and drained (this also comes out to one 15 oz can of organic chickpeas)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of green olives
- 1/2 cup blanched mushrooms (or store bought, preferably in glass jars, not canned. You can use any kind of marinated mushrooms, both stems and pieces. Either way, save the juice!)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 a tsp of cumin (this is key for hummus. Never forget the cumin!)
- 1 large clove of garlic or a tbsp of canned minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: dried mushrooms, olive oil and basil for garnish
Put all the ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender, and blend until creamy. If you need more liquid, you can add a little juice from the olives and some from the mushrooms. The mushroom juice gives it a great flavor, and isn’t as salty as juice from olives. Garnish with some green olives and dried mushrooms, and serve!