Olive Medley Hummus
The first hummus I ever made, and I was hooked! You can also do all green olive hummus, black olive, or olive medley. I will include pictures of the variations I have done below.
This makes about 2 cups or so
– 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, soaked, boiled and drained (this also comes out to one 15 oz can of chickpeas)
– about 3/4 cup of mixed olives such as stuffed green olives, kalamata and jumbo black olives (save the juice!)
– juice of 1/2 a lemon
– about 1/2 a tsp of cumin (this is key for hummus. Never forget the cumin!)
– 1 large clove of garlic or a tbsp of canned minced garlic
– salt and pepper to taste
Optional: crushed red pepper and sesame seeds to top
Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blended, and blend until creamy. IF you need liquid, use the juice from the olives! It makes it more creamy, and really brings out the flavor. Don’t use too much though, as for one it’s too salty, and 2, because of the high sodium content, too much isn’t good for you.
Serve with vegetables or eat by itself like I do!
And, since I never, ever stick to recipes, here are a couple variations you can try out:
– Olive medley with basil pesto: Add 1 – 2 tbsp of basil pesto for an exotic taste. You can buy this already made at the store, or make your own with 1 cup fresh basil, 1/4 cup Parmesan, Parm-Reggiano or Romano cheese, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. If you want, you can add a garlic clove as well