Black Olive and Mushroom Hummus
This is another great option. Black olives themselves aren’t very flavorful, especially the canned ones. But the addition of mushrooms with it brings it to a whole new level.
Makes about 2 cups or so
– 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, soaked, boiled and drained (this also comes out to one 15 oz can of chickpeas)
– about 3/4 cup of black olives or a mixture of kalamata and jumbo black olives (save the juice!)
– 1/2 cup mushroom mix (any kind)
– juice of 1/2 a lemon
– about 1/2 a tsp of cumin (this is key for hummus. Never forget the cumin!)
– 1 large clove of garlic or a tbsp of canned minced garlic
– salt and pepper to taste
Optional: crushed red pepper and sesame seeds to top
Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blended, and blend until creamy. IF you need liquid, use the juice from the olives! It makes it more creamy, and really brings out the flavor. Don’t use too much though, as for one it’s too salty, and 2, because of the high sodium content, too much isn’t good for you.
Serve with vegetables or eat by itself like I do!
Another variation, is to omit the mushrooms altogether and just have plain black olive hummus. I personally don’t think it comes out as good, but some people like the simpleness of the flavor better!