Leeks are so, so good for you! They contain numerous vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as cancer fighting properties, help to promote weight loss and support cardiovascular health. Some of the many vitamins found in leeks are folic acid, niacin, potassium, iron, magnesium, lutein, zinc, as well as vitamin-A, vitamin C, K and E.
I personally have been on a leek kick as of late, as I find it a milder and tastier substitute for onions (they are from the same family, anyway), and you can make a whole salad out of them, which I did! This recipe is so full of flavor and GOOD fats, I ate the entire bowl in one sitting, which was HUGE.
Let us begin!
You will need:
– 3 cups of thinly sliced raw organic leeks, white and green parts (about 1 large stalk)
– 1 bunch of thinly sliced raw organic radishes
– 1 to 1 1/2 cups sliced olives, your choice of mix (I personally used a mix between garlic stuffed olives, tomato stuffed olives and black olives)
– 2 tbsp organic olive oil
– pinch of turmeric
– pinch of salt and pepper to taste
– optional: 1 cup chopped cilantro and/or 1/2 an avocado (to eat the salad with on the side
After the leeks, radishes and olives are chopped, dump them all in the bowl
Then add the olive oil, turmeric, salt and pepper on top:
Mix the vegetables together thoroughly and let sit for about 15 minutes to marinate. This helps gives the vegetables extra flavor!
After the veggies are marinated, take a spoon, and dig in! Eat with a half of an avocado, add some cilantro, or anything else that you want in the salad!