Serena’s RAWmarkable Apricot Balls!
These are one of the first raw vegan desserts I came up with on my own, and my life has never been the same after creating these babies! It all began when I discovered Apricot Fruit Tangos in the bulk food section of Central Market, and I was addicted. However, once I started eating raw vegan and vegan, I because much more aware of what I was putting in my body, and I wanted to come up with a recipe on my own so that it would not only be cheaper, but more healthy as well. And so, I give to you, my RAWmarkable Zesty Apricot Balls!
This makes anything from 10 to 20 fruit balls
– 3 cups organice dried apricots
– 2 tbsp freshly grated organic orange zest! You can always add more if you want…I once used an entire peel of an orange! It tates great!
– 1/2 cup coconut (1/4 for mixture, and 1/4 for rolling)
– a couple pinches of cinnamon
– And, for sweetner, there are several options:
– 1/4 cup organic dates, pitted and soaked for an hour, or…
– 2 tbsp organic agave syrup
Both of these work fine, it just really depends on what you want. I personally prefer dates, not only are they healthier, but once they are soaked, it gives a perfect consistency for the mixture.
And that’s it! Put it all in the food processor, and pulse until everything is mixed together. If you want, you can add the apricots first to chop those up a little, then add the rest of the ingredients after.
Once the mixture is a thick, dough-like consistency, start spooning it out, roll into ball, then roll in the coconut and place in the freezer. These can keep for a couple weeks, and they never fully freeze because of the texture. So it is a perfect snack when you feel like having something sweet!